Dump that wrapping into that litter bin!

slovac

Could you please help me?
If want to tell my child to throw the wrapping of chocolate into a litter bin because he cannot reach it (only one way of dumping that wrapping for him is throwing it into that bin), can I use the following construction? I am especially interested in whether I can use the preposition INTO.

Dump that wrapping into that litter bin!

Thank you.

• Copyright

American English
    Throw your wrapper in/into that litter bin.

Dumping is more of a downward motion, and usually with something larger and heavier than a chocolate wrapper. Throw can stand in for toss, put and discard.

Yes, you can properly use "into." I included "in" because you'll frequently hear that as well, especially from me.

Copyright

American English
    No, I wouldn't use it that way.

If you're cleaning out the garage and find an old bowling trophy, you can say, "I think I'll trash this," meaning throw it in the trash.

stez

english - australia
    No, I wouldn't use it that way.

If you're cleaning out the garage and find an old bowling trophy, you can say, "I think I'll trash this," meaning throw it in the trash.
    Where I come from, 'to trash' something is to destroy it: The tenants trashed the house.

If I wanted to dispose of the old trophy I would 'bin' it.

JamesM

Nor do we use "wrapping" that way in AE. :) I would use "wrapper". "Toss that wrapper into the trash can."

In American English, this is a trash can:
    publictrashcan.jpg

While this is a trash bin:

TrashBinDumpster.JPG

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >