Duplicated threads written by the same user in the new forum system.

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by chamyto, Apr 9, 2017.

1. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Good morning.

Every now and then, I see that duplicated threads ( in most cases identical to another one or with lack of context ) are closed to avoid duplicity.

Excuse me, but I don't quite understand the words that are underlined, because with the new forum system you may find the same thread at the bottom of the page twice or even three times.

Wouldn't it be better to delete that thread instead of maintaining it in the forums if, what is more, that thread has no utility to the users of the forum?

Regards.

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Eventually duplicated threads should be removed from the forums.
    In some high traffic forums the duplicate threads are so many that it may take a long while to remove them all.
    Our new "Similar threads" feature should help/encourage people not to post duplicate threads (it suggests similar threads as soon as the forero writes the thread title, before they actually post the thread in the forums)
    Why does that happen? For the same reason why, although nowadays every forum features a FAQ section, a lot of people ignore it and re-post the same questions over and over again.
    When new users post duplicate questions because they didn't search first (and it happens quite often, unfortunately, despite rule #1) some moderators prefer to lock the duplicate thread and leave a note inside the thread to explain why the thread is closed.
    Even if we then delete that thread, the OP still has access to it and therefore can read the moderation note.
    If we removed the thread straight away, most of the new members wouldn't understand why their query was removed and they would simply re-post it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017