durable power of attorney

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Isabel Thornton, May 17, 2005.

1. Isabel Thornton Member

Spain/Spanish
    Please, could you give some suggestions about the translation of the following sentence?:
    -Holder of an un-revoked durable power of attorney for health care
    It is found in a document about organ donation, under the section where they are identifying the possible decision makers or persons authorized to make the decision on the donation.
    Thank you very much in advance!!!

2. lauranazario

lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Durable power of attorney = poder duradero.

Esperemos confirmación o mejores opciones.

Saludos,
    LN

3. ILT

ILT Senior Member

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Representante legal con un poder duradero para servicios de salud que no ha sido revocado.

Representante legal con un poder duradero que no ha sido revocado para servicios de salud.

Saludos

ILT

4. Aquical

Aquical Senior Member

Washington
    México Spanish
    Parece que en México "Power of Attorney" es carta poder, ¿o nó ILT?
    Entonces sería "Carta Poder Duradera".
    That's my guess.

5. ILT

ILT Senior Member

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    No exactamente, un power of atorney es más bien un poder notarial, o poder otorgado mediante instrumento público.

Saludos

ILT

6. cantupete3 Senior Member

Grand Island, Nebraska
    Mexico, Spanish
    Si, yo creo que "Poder Notarial" seria lo mas indicado.

7. IBR

IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    México Lindo y Querido - Español
    Poder Duradero implica que es una carta poder, y que no es limitado en naturaleza, sino duradero.

No creo que haga falta una explicación más profunda.

Sin embargo, para aquellos que traducen palabra por palabra, pensarán que hace falta traducir las palabras apropiadas. En este caso, la traducción oblicua sería la apropiada.

Saludos.

8. IBR

IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México
    Poder notarial no indica que sea duradero o limitado.

Try it again.

9. David

David Banned

I am not sure I understand the last two comments appended to a thread that was begun three years ago, but for what it's worth, the duties of a notary in the US, where the "durable power of attorney for health care" is a very common document, it would be something different from a poder notarial, and I would stick with poder duradero.

10. logoferens Senior Member

Mexico, Spanish
    Dice el Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law http://dictionary.lp.findlaw.com/ durable power of attorney: a power of attorney that becomes effective upon the principal's becoming incompetent or unable to manage his or her affairs and that is often used as a form of advance directive (compare living will) living will : a document in which the signer indicates preferences or directions for the administration and esp. the withdrawal or withholding of life-sustaining medical treatment in the event of terminal illness or permanent unconsciousness (see also advance directive) advance directive:: a document (as a living will or durable power of attorney) in which a person expresses his or her wishes regarding medical treatment in the event of incapacitation. Espero contribuya para hallar el término equivalente preciso. Aquí la dejo, porque voy de salida, pero me la llevo de tarea.

11. IBR

IBR Senior Member

Mexicali, B.C., México

If you read my two comments, they do not say otherwise.

Have a nice day.

:D

12. pickis

pickis Banned

Zaragoza
    Spanish
    Power of attornney yo lo traduje como "poder notarial". Igual te sirve, o al menos es otra opción más...

13. echaucer Senior Member

The thread has generated several comments. I would like to note that a power of attorney is not a poder notariado. It is often the case but that is just an interpretation. It is just a poder that becomes notariado when signed by a notary. Regarding a durable power of attorney and although one often finds documents with the translation of power duradero, I would dare say that the right collocation should be poder amplio, instead.

Regards,

EChaucer

14. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Note also that the cut-and-paste definition from Mirriam-Webster's Dictionary in message #10, above, is INCORRECT as to U.S. law.

15. Pacugan New Member

Estados Unidos
    Espanol
    I believe the most accurate translation should read: "Titular de Poder Amplio Irrevocable para el Cuidado de la Salud".