during construction of a road [position in sentence?]

westwind

Chinese
1. In 2011, Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology excavated three Western Jin tombs at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township, Jianxi District during construction of a road.
2. In 2011, during construction of a road, Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology excavated three Western Jin tombs at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township, Jianxi District .
3. In 2011, Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology excavated three Western Jin tombs during construction of a road at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township, Jianxi District.

These sentences are written by me. I'd like to know which version is best? I think the first is the best although I cannot clearly see why. What do you think? Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Brioche

Australia English
    All three are wrong.
    The first is incomplete, since you need to enlarge on "during construction". During construction of what?
    The second says "during construction" twice.
    The third sentence, like the first sentence, is incomplete.

westwind

Chinese
    All three are wrong.
    The first is incomplete, since you need to enlarge on "during construction". During construction of what?
    The second says "during construction" twice.
    The third sentence, like the first sentence, is incomplete.
    The mistakes you pointed out are accidents. I didn't "during construction" is incomplete. It should've be "during construction of a road". I also deleted the repeated "during construction". Then, the question is ok?

e2efour

UK English
    I think number 1 is least suitable since I would prefer to move "during construction of a road" closer to "excavate".
    (In number 3 you still have "during construction" at the end.)

westwind

Chinese
    I think number 1 is least suitable since I would prefer to move "during construction of a road" closer to "excavate".
    (In number 3 you still have "during construction" at the end.)
    Thank you.I have deleted it.

According to you,the sentence should rephrased as: In 2011, Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology excavated three Western Jin tombs during construction of a road at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township, Jianxi District ?
    How about the passive:In 2011,three Western Jin tombs at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township ,Jianxi District excavated by Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology during construction of a road.(to me sounds not ok)

westwind

Chinese
    The passive is made up of the verb to be plus a participle. There is a missing word in your sentence. :)
    Fogive me please. I have been sitting in front of my compute all the day.
    You have not tell me what you think of the revised version(In 2011, Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology excavated three Western Jin tombs during construction of a road at the village of Wangwan in Gongnong Township, Jianxi District). I put the during phrase before the at phrase as you said.

westwind

Chinese
    Why doesn't the Institute get the definitive article that it so richly deserves?
    Luoyang is a city, some say no "the" is need before it, and there is a thread dealing with the question. Could you tell me why the definate article is deserved here? Thank you.

Last edited:

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I think in a sentence like this it should be the Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology, since it isn't being used attributively. We'd say that the CIA is searching for terrorists and that the Pasteur Institute is developing vaccines. We'd also say that the University of Pennsylvania is mounting an archaeological investigation. For me "Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology" takes articles in the same way that "institute" does.

westwind

Chinese
    I think in a sentence like this it should be the Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology, since it isn't being used attributively. We'd say that the CIA is searching for terrorists and that the Pasteur Institute is developing vaccines. We'd also say that the University of Pennsylvania is mounting an archaeological investigation. For me "Luoyang Municipal Institute of Cultural Relics and Archaeology" takes articles in the same way that "institute" does.
    This is the thread I mentioned above:http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2628296
    I have been confused about the definite article. seems you native speakers of English have different opinions on its usage.
    As for the University of Pennsylvania, I think if the university was Pennnsylvania University, we may don't need a definite article.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >