during my "Baccalaureate/Bachelor's" studies

< Previous | Next >


Which sentence is correct, and what's the difference?

  • Courses I took during my Baccalaureate studies inspired me to...
  • Courses I took during my Bachelor's studies inspired me to...
  • Hermione Golightly

    Senior Member
    British English
    You have not given any context. We need to know what studies you are referring to. Is it a university course or end of school studies taken at 18 or 19?


    Senior Member
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Both your sentences are correct, but neither is colloquial in American English. What you have termed "Baccalaureate/Bachelor's studies" is referred to as "undergraduate studies" in AE.

    Hermione Golightly

    Senior Member
    British English
    'Baccalaureate' is not correct as this is an exam taken at the end of secondary school studies that qualifies for university entrance in France. I think 'undergraduate studies' is fine for BE speaking readers too.


    Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, there is also the 'International Baccalaureate' (taken in some English-speaking contexts including the UK) which is an exam taken by pupils before entry to university. Using the term for undergraduate studies would therefore be very confusing.

    I agree with cyberpedant that 'Bachelor's studies' is unidiomatic. 'Undergraduate studies' or even 'Bachelor's degree' work better.
    < Previous | Next >