"dust cover"

< Previous | Next >

Fabio Flavio

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello friends!

I am trying to understand this construction in which "dust cover" has appeared:

"I never could force myself to read Zola but I love his antipode: Anatole France. I have full respect for mondern American prose, but I am closer to Thomas Mann and, for example, Robert Musil. Simply said: exactness of a reflection attracts me more than exactness of observation" ( Směšné lásky dust cover of the 1970 ed.)

To me, "dust cover" means that something is covered with a layer of that fine powder, etc.

However I suspect that perhaps "dust cover" may be some sort of idiomatic expression, as in principle the insertion of this "dust cover" in the above text does not mean anything (at least to me...)

Any help offered will be quite welcome!

Kind regards

Fabio

• Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    "Dust cover" refers to the paper that is wrapped around a hardcover (hardbound) book. There is usually information printed on the front and/or back flap (the part that's folded over the book itself).

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    With reference to a book, the "dust cover" is a removable paper cover that is over the regular bound cover. Nowadays, the dust cover is often printed with pictures and other graphics, author bio material, excerpts of reviews, etc.

The original purpose of dust covers -- found almost exclusively on hardbound books -- was to protect the cloth or leather binding.

Fabio Flavio

Brazilian Portuguese
    Wow! I feel myself in that typical situation when one presents a question and once he receives the clarification he immediately feels completely idiot...

Once you friends supplied me with this explanation I immediately understood the meaning...

Well, like good old Confucius used to say, if you have a doubt and ask for a clarification, you will look silly for one minute. If you have a doubt and do not ask for a clarification you will look silly for the whole eternity...

Well, thanks to your help I feel less silly now...

Thank you all for your assistance.

Kindest regards,

Fabio

< Previous | Next >