dustcart/garbage truck/refuse collection vehicle

tullyNic

Chinese
[Moderator Note: Because this thread evolved into discussions of two distinct topics, it has been split. The other thread is here.>

"When I used to answer that I want to be a dumpcart driver while adults were asking..."

<Question split into two threads.>

By the way , is the word "dumpcart" right for the car collecting rubbish with a tip and a frame to lift bins up? The very old fashion one I think.

Thank yOu~

Last edited by a moderator:
  • AER1018

USA
    American English
    <Part of this reply has been moved to another thread.>

I have never heard the word 'dumpcart' either. I have heard 'dump-truck' before.

tullyNic

Chinese

dumpcart... it's a kind of car to collect and carry rubbish from bins.
    Then , can you suggest a word for that kind of car?

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    It's called a "garbage truck" in the US. I'm not sure what you mean by "tip", but you can do a google image search to see if this is the type of vehicle you are talking about.

tullyNic

Chinese
    Yes.. Thanks for your answers
    I have searched, but seems that rubbish car is a general accepted word..

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Yes.. Thanks for your answers
    I have searched, but seems that rubbish car is a general accepted word..
    As far as I can tell from google image search, a "rubbish car" is a car that is "rubbish" (bad quality), not one for collecting garbage.

What type of English are you interested in? (AE? BE? Something else?)

tullyNic

Chinese
    Oh I forgot ,
    I am wondering the answer in BE
    And the rubbish truck is the word that the google image suggested.
    So , can you tell me how the wording in BE?

gasman

Canada, English
    I remember the "dust carts" and "dustmen" that used to empty our dustbins. Whether those terms are still in use, I don't know.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Oh I forgot ,
    I am wondering the answer in BE
    And the rubbish truck is the word that the google image suggested.
    So , can you tell me how the wording in BE?
    "Rubbish truck" returns the correct pictures in google image search. "Rubbish car" does not.

"Bin lorry" and "dustcart" also produce lots of results.

Loob

English UK
    I think "dust-cart" is the most common BrE term, though I grew up saying "dustbin lorry" and probably still do (I don't talk about them much;)).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    We do not use "dustcart" in AE to describe a vehicle. If I heard that word on this side of the Atlantic, I'd think it referred to a small cart that a custodian could wheel around inside a building to collect what he or she sweeps off the floor.

Thelb4

UK English
    I'm familiar with the terms "garbage truck" and "dustcart" from American English, but I would normally call it a "bin lorry" or a "dustbin lorry".

Loob

English UK
    There's a bit more on the various BrE terms for this type of vehicle in Dumpcart. I don't think I've ever heard a BrE-speaker say "garbage truck", but I wouldn't rule it out - we're exposed to a lot of AmE via TV, and quite often pick things up that way.

As regards "refuse collection vehicle" - well, I suppose that might be the 'official' term. But I've only ever heard it used as a joke:).

PS. Guliver, I wasn't sure, when you used the word "international" in post 1, whether you were also looking for usage in Australian English, Indian English etc. Hopefully, some speakers of those varieties will come along soon....

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There are umpteen different terms for this, none of which as far as I know is universally acknowledged. They include:

Bin lorry, dustbin lorry, dustcart (rather old-fashioned now) = British informal (though one professional user calls its vehicles "bin lorries")
    Refuse collection vehicle, refuse vehicle, refuse truck = British formal
    Garbage truck, trash truck = US

I once did a Google search to find out the relative frequency of these but I've now lost the results...

ewie

English English
    Another one for this list: they're called bin wagons where I live:) (I haven't heard dustcart since about 1923.)

< Previous | Next >