Dutch: Het standpunt dat wij naar buiten brengen over Engelse etc.

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by Lazlow, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Lazlow Senior Member

Hessle, East Yorkshire, UK
    British English
    Hi all!

I have a Dutch article about English loan-words in the Dutch language, which I have to translate into English. I'm having serious trouble with one section, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could help!

My very poor attempt at this section is as follows:

As you can see, this just doesn't make any sense at all in English. Hence my dilemma!

If anyone can shed some light onto the meaning of this section, I'd be really grateful. Cheers! :)

2. Jeedade Member

Italy
    Dutch, the Netherlands
    My (loose) translation would be:
    The point of view that we are presenting about English words in the Dutch language is subtle; don’t exaggerate, don’t be a pain about loan words that have long been established in our language, but instead action and resistance against unnecessary English and against the replacement of good Dutch words by English ones

3. Lazlow Senior Member

British English
    Dankjewel Jeedade! That's such a help, I'm very grateful :)

4. JanWillem

JanWillem Member

the Netherlands
    Netherlands / Dutch
    I agree with the author!
    The funniest situation is when people are thinking of a Dutch word but can only think of the English, and then Cut&Paste a Dutch ending to the English word :)

5. Lazlow Senior Member

British English
    It's great for us though - For example, a sentence like "we gaan vanmiddag funshoppen met de kids want het is summer sale" is already mostly translated for us! ;)

6. JanWillem

JanWillem Member

the Netherlands
    Netherlands / Dutch
    Haha you're right; nowadays a 14-year old Dutch girl would understand you better than me!
    As my professor said last month: "Paste de sequence in de initiation window, klik 'Execute', run de sequence analysis en copy de results" :D
    (we were working with an English DNA-analysis computer programme)