French
Hello,
I cannot translate into French the sentence "to trash somebody to do something"

The context is the Football cup : Brillant Dutch trash France to qualify"

My attempt is : Ils ont vaincu la France pour se qualifier

Thank you

• FAC13

English, UK
    "to trash" just means "to defeat heavily / by a large margin".

Quite a common expression in modern BE.

devil68

French
    Actually, I'm going to take the Cambridge B2 exam, and also, I'd like to know if I can use it easily for my writing, or even for my speaking? Thank you

FAC13

English, UK
    Well, it is informal but not rude. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in everyday speech but I would avoid using it in more formal contexts. Your grandmother would both understand it and not be offended, but your university tutor would not expect to see it in an essay, if that helps!

Topsie

English-UK
    poubeller? Je ne vois pas du tout, il n'y a pas plus concret, un mot plus commun?
    Sorry! :eek: Transformer des noms en verbes ne marche pas à tous les coups... je pensais rendre l'image de ce que FAC13 a si bien expliqué !
    J'aurais dit plutôt "to thrash" pour battre de loin, mais je ne dois pas être assez moderne !

Et effectivement, on trouve plusieurs définitions (dont celui de FAC13, qui convient dans le cas présent) ici :
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trash

Last edited:

mancunienne girl

English - England
    Topsie, I totally agree with you. I have never heard the expression 'trash someone' before. However, I have frequently heard, seen and used 'thrash', which to me implies not just a win but a resounding and very easy victory. The writer could have either made a typo, or may have been playing with his words implying that he thought the French team was not quite, er, up to scratch?

david314

American English
    J'aurais dit plutôt "to thrash" pour battre de loin, mais je ne dois pas être assez moderne !
    I agree.

In my humble opinion, this is a poor application of the colloquial verb to trash (to talk trash about someone), which is something akin to: calomnier, diffamer / to slander :)

mancunienne girl

English - England
    From the replies you have it would appear that 'trash' is OK to use in the States, but I can honestly say it is not something we would say in the UK. There are differences between US English and UK English and this is evidently one of them.

massonsarah

French-France
    "Brillant Dutch trash France to qualify"
    Je dirais : les Pays-Bas se sont brillament qualifiés en écrasant la France
    (malheureusement pour nous..)

constantlyconfused

English - British
    I politely disagree.

So do I. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that it is quite widely used now in BE. Not in the football sense, but in the sense of putting someone down / speaking disrespectfully of someone.

I also agree that it should not be used in any formal written context, but I can't imagine being shocked to hear it said by almost anyone.

mancunienne girl

English - England
    I'm not shocked, I just think it's more likely that Brits would say 'thrash' and that 'trash' is chiefly an American word - I checked with the Oxford English dictionary online which states 'chiefly N. American.' That said, would concede there are lots of other examples of Americanisms creeping into UK and of nouns being changed into verbs too.

funnyhat

American English
    For what it's worth, while I am familiar with using "trash" as a verb, I (as an AE speaker) would probably use "thrash" in this context as well. I think of "trash" as more of a way of saying "to jettison" and "thrash" as "to deliver a fierce beating."

constantlyconfused

English - British
    My comment was only on the use of 'trash' as a verb in BE. I entirely agree that 'thrash' is the appropriate verb in the thread title, which devil68 has confirmed was a typo.