Dutch: Zuid Nederlandsche Clubmeubelfabriek

stellashi

Chinese
Hi everyone,

I am having troubles in understand the phase and I don't know exactly what language is Zuid Nederlandsche Clubmeubelfabriek . Flamish, maybe?

eg. the "Leolux furniture" is named after the proud lion in the coat of arms of what is then still called the Zuid Nederlandsche Clubmeubelfabriek (ZNC).

Could any one have any idea about what "the proud lion in the coat of arms" means?

Thank you!

Stella

• jimreilly

American English
    stellashi said:
    Hi everyone,

I am having troubles in understand the phase and I don't know exactly what language is Zuid Nederlandsche Clubmeubelfabriek . Flamish, maybe?

eg. the "Leolux furniture" is named after the proud lion in the coat of arms of what is then still called the Zuid Nederlandsche Clubmeubelfabriek (ZNC).

Could any one have any idea about what "the proud lion in the coat of arms" means?

Stella
    I would assume "Leolux" is a compound of Latin "Leo" (lion) and "lux" (light), so "Leolux" is the name of furniture named after a glowing lion.

Coats-of-arms are symbols of families or countries, like you would expect to see on a shield used by a knight in the middle ages. Today sometimes companies use coats of arms in their advertising or trademarks--it makes the company look distinguished, royal, etc. Such coats-of-arms often have animals as a part of their symbolism, I would assume this furniture factory (that's what "meubelfabriek" means) has a lion on its coat of arms.

That's as far as I can get.--I guess this company in Holland which makes furniture uses a coat-of-arms with the symbol of a lion for its advertising.
    Thank you!