DVD's to rent

< Previous | Next >

azz

armenian
Can one say
a. They have DVD's to borrow and DVD's to buy. In the first room you see mostly DVD's to borrow and in the second room DVD's to buy.
b. They have DVD's for borrowing and DVD's for buying. In the first room you see mostly DVD's for borrowing and in the second room DVD's for buying.

?

The sentences are mine.

I guess one more commonly say 'DVD's for rent and DVD's for sale'. But let us say that when you borrow a DVD in this institution you don't pay. So you don't rent it.

My purpose is to examine the construct, not to find ways to avoid it.

Many thanks.

• Andygc

British English
    Your first pair of sentences is good. It is much more idiomatic to use the infinitive "something to buy" rather than the gerund "something for buying".
    I guess one more commonly say 'DVD's for rent
    I wouldn't. I'd say "to rent".

Language Hound

American English
    I see no reason to add an apostrophe to DVDs.
    Nor do I. It's plural, not possessive.
    My purpose is to examine the construct, not to find ways to avoid it.
    Well, if you want something idiomatic that a native AE-speaker would say, you'll have to express it a different way.

Personally, I would probably say:
    They have DVDs you can borrow and DVDs you can buy.

MarcB

US English
    Azz, you don't want to change the structure, however I would not use borrow or buy in this way. All of the sentences proposed by posters are grammatically correct. What I'm referring to here can be more stylish rather than grammatical or even structural. This is probably regional.I have always seen and heard DVDs for sale, I don't think I've ever seen DVDs to borrow or for borrow. I could borrow DVDs from the library or from a friend. At the library we can borrow DVDs or usually take them out. Notice the active is used. Commercially distributed DVDs I've only seen for rent. On the other hand I've seen DVDs for sale, not for buy or to buy. Again with buy the active is used. See Language hound's comments comments. I want to add here that few people in my area buy DVDs or rent them any more. Most people buy or rent downloadable digital copies from online outlets. That said, there are a few kiosks /vending machines where people can rent DVDs and stores still have them so someone is using them.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >