dwell in , bust into

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
The following excerpt is taken from an open letter by Jason Collins who comes out as the first openly gay professional basketball player.

Example: By its nature, my double life has kept me from getting close to any of my teammates. Early in my career I worked hard at acting straight, but as I got more comfortable in my straight mask it required less effort. In recent days, though, little has separated "mask on, mask off." Personally, I don't like to dwell in someone else's private life, and I hope players and coaches show me the same respect.
Would "butt into someone else's private life" also work and have the same meaning as "dwell in someone else's private life"? FreeDictionary gives the definition of "butt into" as :

"to intrude upon something; to break into a conversation"

• ewie

English English
    Weeeellll, it kind of depends on what he means by dwell in someone else's private life, RG ~ that sounds to me like a slip of the tongue. He might have meant to say dwell on ... i.e. show a sustained interest in. Or he might have meant something completely different.
    Whatever, dwell in someone else's private life sounds pretty weird to me.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Dwell in is almost certainly a misprint (or mis-speak) for dwell on, which means "to think deeply on." Either Collins said dwell in when he meant dwell on (I interview people quite often myself, and speaking perfect English during every moment of an interview is no easy task) or the writer/editor accidentally changed dwell on to dwell in.

(Cross-posted with Ewie)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you ewie and JustKate. I suspect that he wanted to convey these two ideas : 1. To dwell on someone's else private life. 2. To intrude in someone's else private life. But he weren't able to find a suitable expression that includes these two ideas so he used that ad hoc expression "dwell in".

< Previous | Next >