dwelling/appartment

piotr1980

Polish
Hello,

Does a word ''dwelling'' mean an appartment?

Can we say
I live in a big dwelling located in the center city

Many thanks
Piotr

• mplsray

Hello,

Does a word ''dwelling'' mean an appartment?

Can we say

Many thanks
    Piotr

A dwelling is a house, a room or set of rooms, or other structure where people live: A tepee can be a dwelling, for example. An apartment is a room or set of rooms where people live: that is, it's a part of a larger building. An apartment is a dwelling, but a dwelling is not necessarily an apartment. I live in a big dwelling located in the center city sounds odd. If the dwelling is an apartment, you should just describe it as such.

Packard

USA, English
    Does a word ''dwelling'' mean an appartment? (apartment)

Can we say

Dwelling is a general term that refers to all types of living quarters.

Apartments, houses, mansions, castles, tents, mobile homes, etc., are all types of dwellings.

While you could say that you live in a large dwelling in the city, I always strive for the most descriptive word that I can find that accurately describes what I am writing about.

In this case I would choose apartment. If you know that it is a particular type of apartment, then I would use that instead.

I live in a 4 bedroom townhouse apartment in the city.

I live in 3 story brownstone in the city.

The use of dwelling is acceptable in the sentence, but I don't think it is the best word for that sentence.

I posted at the same time as mlspray. We are saying much of the same thing.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    An apartment is a type of dwelling. To use the term "apartment" is primarily AE; in BE, the same rooms would usually be called a "flat".

Most dwellings, however, are not apartments.

"Dwelling" is not a commonly used word.

I would not say "I live in a big dwelling." If I were referring to where an apartment was located, I would say "I live in an apartment house in the center of town."

< Previous | Next >