Dying ball (Tennis)


Senior Member
Hi, there was a discussion in the German forum about the phrase "sterbender Ball" (which is extremely seldom in German, I only found it in the question of the forum) which seems to be a translation of "dying ball".

My question is what is a "dying ball" in English, related to tennis or table tennis?

Basically we want to help the original poster.
  • Gwan

    Senior Member
    New Zealand, English
    I'm not an expert on tennis, but I think it's a ball that's losing energy quickly rather than bouncing up strongly when it hits the court. This quote from a biography of Roger Federer might help: "He can undercut a backhand in such a way that as to [sic] create a difficult-to-play dying ball that hardly bounces and spins out of bounds so that the opponent can at best only helplessly shovel the ball over the net..."

    George French

    Senior Member
    English - UK
    A ball that dies/slows does not bounce as much normal. A dying ball is more difficult to return over the net.. (or round the net).

    The players put top/backspin or slice on the ball to change the way the ball bounces... (and curves left and right or dips in the air..)


    This applies to many ball games....
    < Previous | Next >