Dynamic Six Pack Abs

novice_81

German
Hi

I was reading a book entitled Dynamic Six Pack Abs. At the beginning I didn't know what the author meant by saying "dynamic". I expected to find the answer in this book, but he hasn't mentioned this word a single time in the whole book and that's why I'm still not sure what he meant by writing "dynamic six pack abs"?

Maybe he meant: Good looking/Well defined/Hard ... Do you have any idea?

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "Dynamic"! Extroverted, exciting, thrilling, vivid, outgoing, just generally awesome!

"Dynamic" is kindof a throwaway word at this point - it means "positive and IN CHARGE of life!!!" It also connotes that once you have six-pack abs, you'll be more "dynamic"; you'll have more friends and lovers and be a bigger, more adored personality.

Copyright

American English
    What is the book actually about?
    I would hope it's about developing your stomach muscles to such an extent that they look like six beer cans spread out -- forgive me if you know this, but take a six-pack of Budweiser that is held together with a plastic ringlet thing, set it on the table, then spread three cans one way and three the other so that it's flat on the table with the tops of the cans touching. That pretty much give you a picture of my abs. ;)

Like this (definitely "work safe")... although some people think this (generally "work safe" depending on who you work for).

Copyright

American English
    Work safe means that if you're at work it's safe to open an image. You'll also see the acronym NSFW attached to images ... meaning Not Safe For Work. It's a warning to open an image or website only when you have some privacy, not when you're in an office environment with other people around.

My abs are still dynamic, to allude to the thread topic. But then I'm tensing and holding my breath.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Here's my allusion to the thread topic then:

'Dynamic' is often used to reference movement, its antonym in a scientific context being 'static' e.g. Dynamic and static friction (the latter of which being greater).
    Under this reading of 'dynamic' it ought to be clear that no muscle of the human body can be anything other than dynamic, unless there is some underlying pathology restricting movement.

The only other meaning of 'dynamic' that seems likely here is 'strong'. Why favour 'dynamic' over 'strong' in a book title? Perhaps because it sounds a little more science-sexy* to some (and maybe there was already a book entitled Strong Six Pack Abs).

*I seem to remember some time back warning you to diminish your expectations of encountering any hard science within this book. Obviously, that judgement of its content was made on the basis of its title, principally, because I didn't have a cover by which to judge it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many thanks for the clarification Copyright, though having had a peek, I have to wonder how universally 'work safe' they actually were (a nipple count of two, and a hooch count of twelve!). But I take your point, they really ought to be. :)

suzi br

English / England
    If it really is about working out to develop your abdominal muscles then as Beryl says, muscles are, by their very nature, dynamic, i.e. conveying forces to produce motion. The first meaning in our dictionary conveys the idea of being a lively/energetic thing. The writer probably alludes to both meanings with his title.

I am so pleased I joined this thread, as the insight into a moderator's physique is a rare treat for this board!

Mentioning boards just made me think that the metaphor for a developed abdomen in the past used to be a wash-board stomach ... and in seeking an image to see what washboards used to look like, I find nothing but gleaming, rippling abdomens and little sign of the old fashioned washing equipment!

< Previous | Next >