dysautonomia [common terminology]

  • Chasint

    Senior Member
    English - England
    Well you could describe it as "problems with my autonomic nervous system." The trouble is that most people probably have no idea what the ANS is.

    You could generalise to a "neurological disorder" or "neurological problem" and list a few symptoms.


    Some phrases that might help

    "I have dysautonomia. It's a disorder of the nervous system
    "I have dysautonomia. That means that some automatic parts of my nervous system are affected."

    Or perhaps the simplest

    "I have a problem with my nervous system. It can cause <abnormal heartrate/fainting/tiredness etc.>.
    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    English-US, standard and medical
    There are many other kinds of dysautonomia besides familial dysautonomia, so using Riley-Day as a synonym for unspecified dysautonomia is incorrect. There is no common term in English. You will have to explain your problem, unfortunately. I would advise you to describe your symptoms, because if you say "nervous system problems" people are likely to think you are describing a psychiatric problem.