dziwy?

luna m

mexico spanish
dziwy ?????????????
its this word Polish? what is the meaning of it? its a verb?
thanks!!!

• przemo84

Without any context, I can only say that it's in the plural.

But the meaning depends on the context - the singular of this noun could be dziw (masculine), dziwa (feminine) or dziwo (neuter).

Oletta

Yes, without the context it's hard to define its meaning. It can mean "strange things"* - the most used meaning in the south of Poland. "Dziwy" - meaning "whores" as fragile 1 suggests is rare here, although I cannot exclude it (more often used word meaning "whores" is "dziwki").

* Co za dziwy opowiadocie? - What strange things are you telling about?

Last edited:

.Jordi.

polonès
    I think that it's rather a misspelling of dziwny = strange, odd
    But as my colleagues say, without any context it isn't easy to predict the meaning.

przemo84

I think that it's rather a misspelling of dziwny = strange, odd
    But as my colleagues say, without any context it isn't easy to predict the meaning.

It's not a misspelling. There's a hit in a PWN dictionary:

"dziw «niezwykła rzecz lub nadprzyrodzone zjawisko»

dziwa
    1. posp. «o dużej, niezgrabnej, prymitywnej dziewczynie»
    2. posp. «kobieta o wyzywającym wyglądzie i niemoralnym prowadzeniu się»

dziwo
    1. «niezwykła rzecz»
    2. «straszydło, zjawa»"

source: http://sjp.pwn.pl/lista.php?co=dziwy

.Jordi.

polonès
    I do know what do dziw, dziwo and dziwa mean. But definitely these words are not very common nowadays (at least in my city), that's why I thought it could a misspelling.

Last edited:

.Jordi.

polonès
    Majlo, why? Do you disagree that these words are uncommon? Or do you find my last post unintelligible?

Oletta

Do you disagree that these words are uncommon?

I agree with you .Jordi. and understand your stance, thus I gave an example of its usage in Silesian dialect, where it is still used. I don't suppose it is commonly used in standard Polish even though the word is found in the PWN dictionary. (There are many words in the PWN dictionary which are not commonly used in standard Polish these days.)

PS. And if we don't know the context, then the word given by luna dziwy ????????????? might be a misspelling of dziwny. Why not? A friend of mine from Italy, who speaks Polish but doesn't live in Poland, tends to misspell Polish in a vast variety of ways, including "dziwy" instead of "dziwny", so Jordi's suggestion sounds reasonable.

Last edited:

luna m

mexico spanish
    I see, well this word was in a paragraph saying, can you pay me the money that i lent you for the dziwy?
    so maybe it means to pay the money to someone that lent that money for a whore?
    what do you think? or maybe that money was lent for something freak?
    to me it sounded more like in a female way?
    i dont know!!

luna m

mexico spanish
    I see, well this word was in a paragraph saying, can you pay me the money that i lent you for the dziwy?
    so maybe it means to pay the money to someone that lent that money for a whore?
    what do you think? or maybe that money was lent for something freak?
    to me it sounded more like in a female way?
    i dont know!!
    progress.gif

Poncjusz Grzybiarz

Polish - Pomeranian
    You can't really say what is more natural in polish and what is not x) there's a great tendency [in polish] towards modifications such as augmentative or diminutive lingos.
    If the person who said dziwy in that money-involved dialog was not commonly speaking Old Polish [or was from the Southern Poland, some correlations with Czech language in this case] and by saying dziwy didn't mean any sort of weird entertainment, probably drug-related if borrowing money was necessary, if all that is not the case, then the word dziwy was simply an augmentative thing [in regard to word dziwki, but like a bit cooler hehehe], a very common lingo/slang usage.

Hope I'm making any sense :)

Poncjusz Grzybiarz

Polish - Pomeranian
    I think most people would use the word dziwki rather than dziwy, and so do I. Hence dziwki is more natural to me, or more popular, if you like.
    And by the way, I believe it's Polish, not "polish". :)

I don't use any of the instances mentioned above,
    but hey, just because something is less popular doesn't mean you won't find one in a book or paper.

My mission is to provide some additional info from my significant point of view :)

Last edited by a moderator: