'E pinched me rubber, miss!

Krybro

Polish
" 'E pinched me rubber, miss!" shouted the boy.

This is a sentence from one of my exercises. What does it mean exactly? Shouldn't it me "pinched my rubber[meaning: stole my rubber]" instead of "pinched me"?
What does 'E mean?

The exercise is from the book CPE Use of English by V. Evans.

• Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    The way speakers choose or pronounce words can tell you about their background. The choice of wording shows that the speaker is from England, and probably working class. In some regional variations of English as it is spoken in England, the letter "h" is not pronounced, and the word "He" would be pronounced as "E". (The apostrophe shows you that there is a letter missing -- namely, the initial H.) In addition, some forms of non-standard English use "me" in place of "my".

robotkin

British English
    It means "He pinched my rubber, miss"

The way it's written is to show that it is said in a Cockney accent i.e. non standard pronunciation

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with Andy that it's not necessarily Cockney.

Pronouns are often pronounced differently when they are stressed and when they are not. These are the strong forms and weak forms. It is in fact normal to say 'e in constructions such as 'This is something which he likes'. Its use at the beginning is what marks it as working class.

Similarly, in many English working class accents, there is a strong form of my /maɪ/ and a weak form /mɪ/, often spelt me but it's really mih.

< Previous | Next >