EA: أمي مسافرة وعامل حفلة (active participle)

< Previous | Next >

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
The active participle is one of those complicated things in colloquial Arabic that depending on the verb can be a progressive meaning (is doing X) or a present perfect (having just done X), at least in my experience with Levantine Arabic.

Anyway, my question is actually about Egyptian Arabic. I was listening to that MTM song the other day, in which the main refrain is:

أمي مسافرة وعامل حفلة

My question is, does عامل حفلة here mean "I am throwing a party" as in right now (the equivalent of Levantine, عم بعمل) I am having one, or does it mean something like "I just had a party" or something else?

Thanks as usual ;)!!

• Saleh Al-Qammaari

Egypt/ Arabic
    The active participle is one of those complicated things in colloquial Arabic that depending on the verb can be a progressive meaning (is doing X) or a present perfect (having just done X), at least in my experience with Levantine Arabic.

Anyway, my question is actually about Egyptian Arabic. I was listening to that MTM song the other day, in which the main refrain is:

أمي مسافرة وعامل حفلة:cross:

My question is, does عامل حفلة here mean "I am throwing a party" as in right now (the equivalent of Levantine, عم بعمل) I am having one, or does it mean something like "I just had a party" or something else?

Thanks as usual ;)!!
    Hi Clevermizo!

It seems that you did not hear the song very well. The correct words of the song are "هعمل حفلة" which mean I will hold a party. Sorry, my translation seems formal which does not represent the Arabic colloquial words that is because I'm not fully acquianted with colloquial English and slangs.

Regards:)

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Hi Clevermizo!

It seems that you did not hear the song very well. The correct words of the song are "هعمل حفلة" which mean I will hold a party. Sorry, my translation seems formal which does not represent the Arabic colloquial words that is because I'm not fully acquianted with colloquial English and slangs.

Regards:)
    Haha! Oops ;)

But if it was عامل حفلة what would that mean?

Edit: Also, as an aside, in English we usually say "throw a party" or "have a party" for عمل حفلة. You can say "hold a party" but it sounds quite formal.

Saleh Al-Qammaari

Egypt/ Arabic
    As for,

My question is, does عامل حفلة here mean "I am throwing a party" as in right now:tick:
    (the equivalent of Levantine, عم بعمل) I am having one, or does it mean something like "I just had a party" or something else?

Thanks as usual ;)!!
    The equivalent tense for this phrase is I have been holding a party. Your first suggestion is right it actually conveys the idea.

Thanks

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    As for,

The equivalent tense for this phrase is I have been holding a party. Your first suggestion is right it actually conveys the idea.

Thanks
    Ahah, so it's a little more than just immediate present. The idea is that you started the party sometime ago in the past and it's still going on? Is that it? Rather than it just started right now?

Sorry if I'm beating this to death =)

Saleh Al-Qammaari

Egypt/ Arabic
    Ahah, so it's a little more than just immediate present. :tick:The idea is that you started the party sometime ago in the past and it's still going on? :tick:Is that it?:tick: Rather than it just started right now?:cross:

Sorry if I'm beating this to death =)
    Ok dear,

the consequence of the tenses is as follow:

my mother has traveled and I have been holding or I am holding a party.

Clear? :)

< Previous | Next >