EA: اتمسكن لحد لما اتمكن

< Previous | Next >

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
Hi All,

I would like to say the following:

زميلنا دخل على المدير بالبيضة و الحجر و فضل يتمسكن لحد لما أتمكن و دلوقتى بقى الكل فى الكل فى التيم

• Interprete

French, France
    I’m confused, I often heard this phrase from people describing the Muslim brotherhood’s shift in attitude before and after Mubarak’s time, and I thought the idea was to lay low until you get the upper hand when circumstances change in your favour. Did I completely misunderstand it?

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I thought the idea was to lay low until you get the upper hand when circumstances change in your favour. Did I completely misunderstand it?
    No, you understood it correctly, though it's not specifically/only used with one group of people or another. The idea as you said is to lay low, to pretend to be weak and helpless مسكين, until one's able to reach power.

Another idiom in the similar vein is اللي تحسبه موسى يطلع فرعون, you thought he was Moses (a good person) but he turned out to be Pharaoh (an evil person). Also about people who act kind and nice when they're actually planning for evil things, or doing them without others noticing it.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I don’t know what دخل على المدير بالبيضة والحج means. For the rest, maybe:

He wallowed in affected self-pity he got more power/clout, and now he all but runs the team.

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    I don’t know what دخل على المدير بالبيضة والحج means. For the rest, maybe:

He wallowed in affected self-pity he got more power/clout, and now he all but runs the team.
    دخل على المدير بالبيضة و الحجر
    Means something like "flatter" or "adulate" or he pretends that he is a close friend to his manager so that he can get his trust and this will impact his work positively.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    He sucked up to / brown-nosed / sweet-talked the boss/manager/director.

I had a misprint in my last post:
    He wallowed in affected self-pity until he got more power/clout, and now he all but runs the team.

< Previous | Next >