EA: Covering one's ass

< Previous | Next >

scetis

English- Canadian
Please excuse the term I'm about to type...

I'm hoping to find a more polite way of expressing the english term :warning: "You're just trying to cover own your ass".

It would be in the context of a friend who betrayed you or let you down in a big way in order to simply protect his or her own interests.

Perhaps that would be the polite equivalent, "You're just trying to protect your interests"... but if you were betrayed by your friend, it wouldn't carry the same weight...

• إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    مصلحجي ماشايفش غير نفسه مابيشوفش غير مصلحته
    Pending a ruder equivalent.
    It's tempting to break into a وصلة ردح describing how the guy ماعندوش أصول etc., but I would prefer to find a way to render the specific meaning of someone only looking out for himself.

Last edited:

scetis

English- Canadian
    مصلحجي ماشايفش غير نفسه مابيشوفش غير مصلحته
    Pending a ruder equivalent.
    It's tempting to break into a وصلة ردح describing how the guy ماعندوش أصول etc., but I would prefer to find a way to render the specific meaning of someone only looking out for himself.
    Could you explain مصلحجي and is it attatched to the phrase following it... if so, it's really confusing because ماشايفش غير نفسه makes sense as does مابيشوفش غير مصلحته.

Also, I just have to ask... what does وصلة ردح mean as well as, does ماعندوش أصول imply one who doesn't have any manners (rude) or more along the lines of one who doesn't care about anyone else?

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    I joined up the three expressions end to end.
    There is a thread somewhere on وصلة ردح from not so long ago.
    ما عندوش أصول is approximately someone with no morality or manners. This has severe connotations in Arabic culture; much stronger than 'rude' is in English. It almost strips you of humanity!

< Previous | Next >