EA/MSA: The bed is more comfortable than the couch

Andrew___

!أهلا وسهلاً بالجميع
:كيف نقول بالعربية الفصحى وباللهجة المصرية الجملة التالية

"The bed is more comfortable than the sofa".

:محاولاتي أنا هي

:بالفصحى

.السرير مريح أكثر من الاريكة
.السرير هو أكثر راحة من الأريكة

:بالمصرية
es-sereer muree7 aktar min el kanaba.

شكرا مقدما
أندرو

Last edited:
  • ystab

Hebrew
    As far as my MSA knowledge allows me to answer, the second option is a good translation for what you ask for (with only one reservation: هو is redundant).

I know of two forms of comparative:
    1) the أفعل form
    2) Using تمييز when the أفعل form is inapplicable, as in these examples: أكبر تضامنًا من (more solidary than), أكثر تعدديةً من (more pluralistic than), أكثر تقدّمًا من (more pregressive than)

Andrew___

Thank you Cherine. :thumbsup:

I am so happy and overjoyed to learn that we can use this simple structure in MSA of صفة + أكثر to form the comparative form!

I wish my Arabic text book had informed me of this useful "trick" to forming the comparative form (instead of stating that we must use the أفعل or تمييز form).

Cherine, may I ask if it would sound more natural if I add a و and a comma (or by adding a pause in the case of spoken MSA) as follows (changes shown in red):

السرير مريح, وأكثر من الأريكة OR
    السرير مريح, وذلك أكثر من الأريكة OR is it best simply:
    السرير مريح أكثر من الأريكة

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thank you Cherine. :thumbsup:
    You're welcome, Andrew.
    I wish my Arabic text book had informed me of this useful "trick" to forming the comparative form (instead of stating that we must use the أفعل or تمييز form).
    I don't know about you, Andrew, but I personally find the أفعل form much simpler and easier. The "trick" only serves when the word from which we want to form the comparative doesn't accept the form af3al.
    Cherine, may I ask if it would sound more natural if I add a و and a comma (or by adding a pause in the case of spoken MSA) as follows (changes shown in red):

السرير مريح, وأكثر من الأريكة OR
    السرير مريح, وذلك أكثر من الأريكة OR is it best simply:
    السرير مريح أكثر من الأريكة
    No, I'm afraid the waw is wrong (it would warrant وأكثر ماذا "and more what?") and "وذلك" is unnecessary and makes the sentence wordy.

aurelien.demarest

French
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the superlative by reading what was suggested in that post.
    My sentence is very similar so hope it's okay...

My friend Mehdi spends more time with his mother than with his wife
    صديقي مَهْدي يقضي الوقت أكثر مع أمه من زوجته

Could you tell me please if it is okay?
    Aurélien

dkarjala

English - America
    Sorry, I forgot to comment on the MSA translation. The correct one is السرير مريح أكثر من الأريكة.
    Some people will correct me when I do this and say that it is افصح to say اكثر راحةً. All the textbooks I've used say that if you can't put the adjective into افعل directly, you have to use أكثر/اشدّ and a تمييز. One grammatical objection to مريح اكثر is that it both words are adjectives on equal ground, when the word مريح is the actual adjective and the other word it supposed to be adverbial or subordinate in some way.

I'd like opinions.

Mayoucha

Arabic & french
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the superlative by reading what was suggested in that post.
    My sentence is very similar so hope it's okay...

My friend Mehdi spends more time with his mother than with his wife
    صديقي مَهْدي يقضي الوقت أكثر مع أمه من زوجته

Could you tell me please if it is okay?
    Aurélien
    يقضي صديقي مَهْدي وقتا أطول مع أمه مقارنة بما يقضيه مع زوجته
    او
    يقضي صديقي مَهْدي وقتا أكثر مع أمه مقارنة بما يقضيه مع زوجته

< Previous | Next >