EA: To lose face

londonmasri

English
Following on from this thread, how would we express the idea of someone losing face in front of others (in EA)?

For example, if a parent shouts at a child in front of his/her peers, the child may feel embarrassed in addition to losing face in front of his friends. In other words some sort of damage is done to his/her social status.

• shafaq

Turkish
    For the time being you have to contend with the Arabic version till the Egyptian version gets available. It is something like
    فقد /فقّد اعتباره
    or ضيّع اعتباره
    or هدر/ هدّر اعتباره
    even ارذله/ذلّله امام الناس .
    It goes like
    خفّض /وقع /وقّع اعتباره /سمعته and more...
    :)بجوز اخواننا المصريين كمان يفهموها​

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    You could also say فقد ماء الوجه faqada ma2(a) 'lwajh(i), even though it's less common than its opposite حفظ / أنقذ ماء الوجه.

Ghabi,
    If I had to say something similar to your suggestion, I would use the verb saqaT instead of nazal.

londonmasri

English
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

You could also say فقد ماء الوجه faqada ma2(a) 'lwajh(i), even though it's less common than its opposite حفظ / أنقذ ماء الوجه.

فقد ماء الوجه
    This seems to accurately represent the idea.

Would faqad mayyet weshsho be understood? Or is there a similar expression to this in EA?

L.2

Arabic
    in Saudi we say fashshalloni فشلوني(they embarrassed me)
    there is another expression mostly among teenagers, my face has fallen (6aa7 wajhi طاح وجهي) Or in your example if parents shout at child they 6aaya7o wajho (made his face to fall)

Last edited:

Timmy123

NYC
    English
    Is it possible to confirm an Egyptian version of 'saving/losing face'?

E.g.. He is just trying to save face (i.e. he is trying not to appear like a fool).

< Previous | Next >