Each necklace is secured in a box so that the chain will not move around freely when shipped.

< Previous | Next >

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
This sentence is to be used by a seller who sells necklaces to describe the packaging.
The necklace is wrapped with tissue then put in a small box, which is then put in a bubble-mailer.

I'm not sure if the word "secured" is the word a native speaker will use for this situation.

If the chain moves around in a box freely, it might be tangled so I want to put emphasis on it "being packaged safely and securely" in a way that it will not move around but if I just say "wrapped with tissue" it does not convey the "it does not move around" part too well.

"Each necklace is secured in a box so that the chain will not move around freely when shipped."

If this sounds awkward, please let me know how a native speaker will say it.

Thank you.

• Chez

English English
    But is it secured in any other way than with tissue - is it pinned down, for example?

If not, then perhaps you could say something like:

Each necklace is securely wrapped in tissue in a small box so no tangling will occur (in transit).

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
    Thank you for your reply, Chez.

But is it secured in any other way than with tissue - is it pinned down, for example?
    No. The box is small and the length of the folded tissue is about the same length as the box, so it does not have space to turn around. It can jiggle.

Just so I know the right situation to use "secured," could you tell me if it is usually used for something that is pinned down/strapped down/bolted etc. where it is tightly pushed against the wall, etc.?

Thank you.

Myridon

English - US
    Just so I know the right situation to use "secured," could you tell me if it is usually used for something that is pinned down/strapped down/bolted etc. where it is tightly pushed against the wall, etc.?
    Yes. If you said it was "secured" and I found that it was just wrapped in paper, I would be disappointed in your service. :)

e2efour

UK English
    I think securely is more likely to be used than the verb secured (e.g. with what?).
    But is it not enough to write that each necklace is placed in a box in such a way that the chain ...?

< Previous | Next >