Each test <costs> around $100

< Previous | Next >

SEA91

Bahasa Malaysia
Hello. I need to understand something in detail. What does "cost" in this sentence include? Expertise? Reagents? What? I need specific cost for this test.

The standard molecular assays currently used in mobile and other laboratories supporting the Ebola response include the reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, or RT-PCR test. The test, which involves a number of laborious procedures, provides very accurate results when performed by trained staff. Each test requires a full tube of blood, takes from 2 to 6 hours, and costs around $100.

• tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Each test requires a full tube of blood, takes from 2 to 6 hours, and costs around $100.
    This suggests that if you are the person paying for the test you will pay a total of around $100. To find out for certain, you would have to contact the people who carry out the test.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would assume that the cost of $100 includes all materials and processing as described. That said, it could be that this writer was not very careful, as is often the case even in official publications when someone is given the task of summarizing information for the public. If this does include labor costs and even transportation costs — possibly true for the former, unlikely for the latter — it is useful to remember that those vary from country to country or region to region.

SEA91

Bahasa Malaysia
    I would assume that the cost of $100 includes all materials and processing as described. That said, it could be that this writer was not very careful, as is often the case even in official publications when someone is given the task of summarizing information for the public. If this does include labor costs and even transportation costs — possibly true for the former, unlikely for the latter — it is useful to remember that those vary from country to country or region to region.
    Lets say your assumption is true. Then how should I rephrase it so that people know what the cost includes?

Packard

USA, English
    It is not clear to me if that is the cost to produce or the cost to buy. You need to be certain. If it is the cost to produce then the cost to buy would need to carry some profit for the producer. If that was the case the cost to buy would be (at a minimum) $130.00, I would guess. But drug companies often work to 1000% or more in profit. So this could easily be sold at $1,000.00 or more.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Lets say your assumption is true. Then how should I rephrase it so that people know what the cost includes?
    You would have to find out what is included before we can tell you how to rephrase it! We don't yet know even where you found the text you are quoting, so any guess on our part will be uninformed.

SEA91

Bahasa Malaysia
    You would have to find out what is included before we can tell you how to rephrase it! We don't yet know even where you found the text you are quoting, so any guess on our part will be uninformed.
    I got this from the world health organization website. I am actually writing a report on it and that's why I need to be precise, but that's the only thing it mentions on the website! It's too general.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Unless you need to include every item for which a cost is incurred (training the tester, contracting the provider of the reagents, capital depreciation of the equipment etc etc etc) the simple answer is:
    Each test costs WHO around $100.

< Previous | Next >