Each trend, each success story, and each interaction is/are

vijay_brat

Telugu
Hi

In the sentence below,I'm confused whether are/or has to be used. Please help.

Each trend, each success story, and each customer interaction are to be recorded so that they are reviewed later and more innovative ideas can be implemented.

Regards
Vijay

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'd use is, on the grounds that we have three parallel subjects, and each of them involves each, which is singular.
    Of course I'd then have to change they to it.

vijay_brat

Telugu
    So, is it right if I say, "Each trend, each success story, and each customer interaction is to be recorded so that it is reviewed later and more innovative ideas can be implemented?"

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    So that it is reviewed later
    Actually, "is to be recorded so that it is reviewed" sounds a little odd. Since the recording has to be done before the reviewing, it doesn't feel right to use "is reviewed", and I'd be inclined to use "can be" instead.

You'd then need to decide what to do about the other "can be", as it would be clumsy to repeat it.

vijay_brat

Telugu
    So, will "Each trend, each success story, and each customer interaction can be recorded so that they are reviewed later and more innovative ideas are possibly implemented," make sense?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    No, that's not what I meant. The meaning of the original seems to be that somebody is issuing an instruction that these things should be recorded, and is then adding an explanatory reason: The purpose of recording these data is to make it possible to review them later.
    My suggestion was "is to be recorded so that it (not they) can be reviewed later..."

< Previous | Next >