Each unemployed individual face<s>

Roundhouse

Bengali
Each unemployed individual faces unique challenges. MS word flags it and says it should be "face".

When I write "Each unemployed person faces unique challenges", MS word does not flag it.

What am I doing wrong?

• Myridon

English - US
    Using the MS Word grammar checker. :)
    Right clicking shows the message "resolve disagreement within noun phrase". Playing with it for a minute, I think that any:
    Each unemployed <adjective> faces unique challenges.
    causes the error so it must be assuming that "individual" is an adjective while "person" is not.

Roundhouse

Bengali
    Using the MS Word grammar checker. :)
    Right clicking shows the message "resolve disagreement within noun phrase". Playing with it for a minute, I think that any:
    Each unemployed <adjective> faces unique challenges.
    causes the error so it must be assuming that "individual" is an adjective while "person" is not.
    It is just annoying when it keeps flagging things and I don't know why. You are right, it flags every <adjective> followed by "faces". But the description is "resolve disagreement within noun phrase" so it does recognize that "individual" is a noun. But then it sees it as an adjective. I don't know what to do.

Myridon

English - US
    But the description is "resolve disagreement within noun phrase" so it does recognize that "individual" is a noun. But then it sees it as an adjective. I don't know what to do.
    I think the fact that "faces" is both a verb and a noun plays into its decision to mark it as an error.

Myridon

English - US
    ''Every/ each ... '' is singular.
    It knows that. It counts "Each unemployed individual has unique challenges." and "Each unemployed individual faced unique challenges." as correct. It's something to do with the combination of "individual" and "faces" being ambiguous with regard parts of speech.

< Previous | Next >