each with a finger and thumb under the armpit(s)

< Previous | Next >

nemo eve walle

chinese
(A giant held them up with hands)They discovered themselves held up, each with a finger and thumb under the armpits, and with the perplexed brown eyes of young Caddles scanning their warm flushed faces.
From The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth/Book II/Chapter II
In ''each with a finger and thumb under the armpits'', a finger and a thumb for each, so they are singular, it is right, but why is the ''armpits'' plural?
I think the sentence means this: ''Each with a finger and thumb'',''Each under an armpit'', so the armpits should be singular.
A finger and a thumb for each, and an armpit for each.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think each person had one finger and a thumb respectively on each hand under each armpit.

"armpits" in the plural makes sense to me with the little context.

nemo eve walle

chinese
    The giant held them up with hands. A finger and thumb and a armpit for the woman. A finger and thumb and a armpit for the man.
    So, each with a finger and thumb (and each is ) under the armpits, why is armpits plural?

Myridon

English - US
    The thumb of one hand is under one of the person's two armpits and a finger is under the other of the person's two armpits. One finger, one thumb, two armpits. The weight of the person is supported by both arms or by the pressure of the giant's fingers on either side of the person's chest. The giant is not picking the person up by the hair of one armpit. ;)

< Previous | Next >