each with his own stable of giants.

< Previous | Next >

passengerman

chinese
Hi all;

What does the bold phrase mean?

- "The city is always full of young worshipful beginners—young actors, young aspiring poets, ballerinas, painters, reporters, singers—each depending on his own brand of tonic to stay alive, each with his own stable of giants."

(E.B. White, Here Is New York. Harper, 1949)

Thanks in advance

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    A stable of horses = all the horses owned or trained by a racehorse owner or trainer.
    Giant = very important or successful person in any field.

Does that help? No? Well I admit, I myself don't understand how a young worshipful beginner can own a stable - it takes a lot of money. Perhaps it means "each with his own gallery of heroes"??? Anybody can afford a photograph to put in a gallery.

owlman5

English-US
    I take this to mean that each of these people - each actor, each aspiring poet, etc. - had a group of heroes or role-models that he considered important.

Cross-posted with Keith.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I've just looked at this quotation again and I was surprised that E.B. White, co-author of a famous style guide, should have written young worshipful beginners. Worshipful to me usually means quite the opposite of a beginner - it's a title used to address or refer to various people or bodies of distinguished rank, such as mayors who are worthy of respect. However, I discover that In America it means feeling or showing reverence or adoration, which is clearly what White meant.

Another of those 10,000 differences between AE and BE!

< Previous | Next >