Early professional vs Experienced professional

eneth

Italian
Hello everyone :).
Can any of you tell me the exact meaning of "early professional"?
With regard to career levels, is an "early professional" a person at his/her first work experience?
If not, what would be the difference between an "early professional" and an "experienced professional"?

• Loob

English UK
    Hello eneth - welcome to the forums!

I don't think I've ever heard the term "early professional".

Can you tell us the context - including the complete sentence - in which you came across it?

eneth

Italian
    Hello Loob, thank you for welcoming me. I came across this expression in several job and career sites, but there wasn't a sentence in which I tracked it down. In these sites, among the search criteria, such as the country, the job family, etc., you can also specify your current career level and the possible choices are:
    - Student
    - Recent Graduate
    - Early Professional
    - Experienced Professional

And now also Mid-level Professional! :confused::confused::confused:

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    Can any of you tell me the exact meaning of "early professional"?

It is not a standard phrase, so has no standard meaning. It makes sense on the website list, but you would never use it in an actual sentence. The closest we come is "early in his career".

This website uses the list to help you save time by ONLY looking at the job listings who are looking for people with YOUR years of experience. They may have a description of "early professional" somwhere on the website. If not here are some rough numbers that would make sense in my field (software).

Recent graduate = 0 to 1 years experience
    Early professional = 1.5 to 4 years
    Mid-level professional = 5 to 9 years
    Experienced professional = 10+ years

eneth

Italian
    Ok dojibear :thumbsup:, thanks for your clarification and for the guidance in terms of numbers. Unfortunately, these websites often do not say how expressions like "early professional" can exactly be translated in the number of years of experience in a given field. When it is possible, I'll try to ask the recruiters for more information.