Earth’s putative prehuman civilizations may well be off-world

NewAmerica

Mandarin
I don't understand the logic of "Earth’s putative prehuman civilizations may well be off-world." If off world refers to other planet, how could it be called Earth's prehuman civilization? Is he joking?

Thanks in advance

“I find it amazing that no one had worked all this out before, and I’m really glad that somebody has taken a closer look at it,” says Pennsylvania State University astronomer Jason Wright, who last year published “a fluffy little paper” exploring the counterintuitive notion that the best place to find evidence of any of Earth’s putative prehuman civilizations may well be off-world. If, for instance, dinosaurs built interplanetary rockets, presumably some remnants of that activity might remain preserved in stable orbits or on the surfaces of more geologically inert celestial bodies such as the moon.

-Scientific American

Source

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    He means that there might have been prior civilisations who left earth millions of years ago.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    If it was built on the Earth, and fired into space, it's now off-world. Evidence of ancient Dinosapiens on the Earth would have been wiped out by geological change, but relics that made it to the Moon would still be preserved there.

< Previous | Next >