Earth or the Earth

< Previous | Next >

JungKim

Korean
I know that this has been discussed many times before, and I did look through many of the relevant threads, if not all.
[1] Some threads indicate that you don't put "the" when you say "on Earth/earth" to mean "in the world".
[2] Some say that you say "the Earth" when you mean the planet Earth.
[3] Others say that you say either "Earth" or "the Earth" except perhaps for the phrase "on Earth" meaning "in the world".

According to [2], doesn't it have to be "the Earth" for all the instances in the quotes below?

We live in the future. As proof, I present two new services: UrtheCast, and Skybox. Both are cameras in space pointed down at Earth that provide high-resolution nearly-live views — including video — of our fair planet.
And I do support more and higher-resolution observations of Earth.
-Two Views to Earth
“A few weeks ago, we shared the first images from SkySat-1, the first of our planned constellation of 24 satellites,” imaging company SkyBox said in a statement posted to their website. “Today, we are excited to share the world’s first commercial, high-resolution, HD video of Earth from space.”
-VIDEO CAPTURES THE ‘WORLD’S FIRST HIGH RESOLUTION, HD VIDEO OF EARTH FROM SPACE’

• srk

English - US
    I think the writer is taking an astronomer's view of things. He would also have written "...cameras in space pointed down at Mars". Earth is just one of the planets.

ewie

English English
    When you're referring to the planet you can say either Earth or the Earth, though the first is perhaps commoner:)

< Previous | Next >