Earth - with mixture of white, blue, brown and green colors.

< Previous | Next >

SelvaT

Tamil
I described earth based how it will look when we see it from space or from moon. Here the phrase "with mixture of white, blue, brown and green colors." looks odd, I feel something is wrong with this but not sure what it is. Is this the way a native english speaker will describe it?

Earth is a giant terrestrial planet with mixture of white, blue, brown and green colors.

• ron1759

U.S. - English
    Grammatically, just one change:

Earth is a giant terrestrial planet with a mixture of white, blue, brown and green colors.

I'm not sure what the adjective "terrestrial" contributes to the sentence. If you intend to mean land-based or mostly land, it's not factual because more than half of the earth is covered by water. I'm also not sure if "giant" is appropriate. Within our own solar system, the giant planets are usually considered to be Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. But it's up to you to decide what you want to say. :)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Selva. :)
    Earth is a giant terrestrial planet with mixture of white, blue, brown and green colors.
    Like Ron, I question the use of the word "giant" (it may depend on just where in space you are). Also, you don't really need the word "colors", since everyone knows that these are the names of colors. You could just say something like: ". . . with areas of white, blue, brown, and green."

SelvaT

Tamil
    Welcome to the forum, Selva. :)

Like Ron, I question the use of the word "giant" (it may depend on just where in space you are). Also, you don't really need the word "colors", since everyone knows that these are the names of colors. You could just say something like: ". . . with areas of white, blue, brown, and green."
    Thanks, I agree with you. The colors and giant is not required.

< Previous | Next >