easier or more easy?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by cat-can, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cat-can Senior Member

vancouver
    CATALONIA, catalan and spanish
    My conversation teacher told us that the adjectives that end in -y like easy, healthy, friendly... can have two forms for comparison: more + adj or adj + er ending. I always thought that only the latter was correct...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  2. Chinola Senior Member

Planet earth
    English
    Not sure what you are asking, but it is very common to hear:
    easy easier
    healthy healthier
    friendly friendlier

3. partylike1899 Senior Member

English - USA
    Es interesante. Nunca se oye "more easy." Creo que la mayoría diría que es un error.

Sin embargo, lo que diga su profesor es verdad en los casos de "healthy" y "friendly".

4. bwuw

bwuw Senior Member

Spanish (Spain) and Catalan
    I was wondering the same. Can you say:

More easy, more healthy, more friendly instead of

easier, healthier?

5. Wjames2 Member

English
    Grammatically speaking, yes. However, in English, the most economic form is always preferred. In everyday speech and in writing you would generally hear easier, healthier, friendlier.

One exception I can think of where I would say more easy rather than easier:

"She used to be chaste, but she's more easy than before."

Easy=promiscuous.

6. choose_me Senior Member

Turkish
    So if I say more easy it is not wrong, right?

7. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Although it's not wrong to say 'more easy', it is not normal. I can imagine the other -y words being used with 'more', for example 'He used to be rather aloof, but he's more friendly these days'.

8. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

Italian
    I concur.

I'd add that possibly the only case where the "more Adj" version is compulsory—and whatever the length of the adjective—is that of the so-called "internal comparison":e.g.
    "She is more pretty/friendly than intelligent". I suspect "prettier/friendlier" would not be accepted.

GS :)

9. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I concur! Her prettiness/friendliness is more apparent than her intelligence. As you say, the -er versions would not fit here.

JJ