easter

Lealll

Español
Buen día:
Para decir en Inglés Jueves y Viernes no trabajo por ser semana Santa.

"I don´t work on Thursday and Friday for Easter"??
Gracias!

• Kat_W

chile, spanish
    Hola: Yo diría: I don't work on Thursday and Friday for Easter holidays. También podría ser: I won't be working on Thursday and Friday for Easter holidays, dependiendo del contexto.

ELiTe185

United States, English
    To sound more natural, I would say:
    "Because Easter is this week, I will not be working Thursday and Friday."

but, to stay closer to your syntax, you could also say:
    "I don't work this Thursday or Friday because of Easter."

Instead of using "for" I would use "because" to show the cause and effect.

Berenguer

Spain, Spanish
    Just a question. Could it be said "I don't work on Thrusday and Friday due to Easter holidays"?
    And another option, could it be said, with the same meaning, in future such as this "I won't be working on Thrusday and Friday due to Easter holidays"?

Metztli

Mexico Spanish / English
    Hi Berenguer!

I believe it is correct to use "due to" instead of "because"... but let's see what native speakers have to say.

estrella de mar

UK English
    Just a question. Could it be said "I don't work on Thrusday and Friday due to Easter holidays"?
    And another option, could it be said, with the same meaning, in future such as this "I won't be working on Thrusday and Friday due to Easter holidays"?
    "Due to" is fine in this context but you would need to use the article "I won't be working on Thursday and Friday due to the Easter holidays."

jinti

Could it be said "I don't work on Thrusday and Friday due to Easter holidays"? I wouldn't say this. Simple present tense means habitual action, so it sounds like you never work on Thursdays or Fridays, but then "the Easter holidays" contradicts that.
    And another option, could it be said, with the same meaning, in future such as this "I won't be working on Thursday and Friday due to the Easter holidays"? This is good.
    I'd also say:
    I'm not working (on) Holy Thursday or Good Friday.
    I'm not working (on) Thursday or Friday this week because of Easter/because it's Holy Week.
    I'm off Thursday and Friday because of Easter/because it's Holy Week.

Berenguer

Spain, Spanish
    I'd also say:
    I'm not working (on) Holy Thursday or Good Friday.
    I'm not working (on) Thursday or Friday this week because of Easter/because it's Holy Week.
    I'm off Thursday and Friday because of Easter/because it's Holy Week.
    "Due to" is fine in this context but you would need to use the article "I won't be working on Thursday and Friday due to the Easter holidays."
    Thanks both. I didn't know that due to needed the article.

Berenguer

Spain, Spanish
    It doesn't. :D Easter holidays does.

For instance:

Where I work, we get off 12 days per year due to holidays (holidays in general), but we don't get off any days due to the Easter holidays (these holidays in particular).

:)
    Ok!!. Now I understand the correct use of "the" for particular matters.
    Thanks!!

< Previous | Next >