Easy, slightly confusing meaning

< Previous | Next >

LdR08

Kazakh, Russian
Hello! In the book "How to Win friends and influence people" written "You learn how to make people like you". And my question is:
This word "like" is like "I like this city. I like to play guitar"? OR
It means "similar", "I wanna be like Bruce Lee")?

• grassy

Polish
    You're welcome. I will only add that it seems that in this case the choice of one interpretation over another is purely pragmatic: it makes grammatical sense to understand 'like' as 'similar' in that sentence, but then what would 'make' mean there? 'Shape' or maybe even 'create'? That's just unlikely.

LdR08

Kazakh, Russian
    You're welcome. I will only add that it seems that in this case the choice of one interpretation over another is purely pragmatic: it makes grammatical sense to understand 'like' as 'similar' in that sentence, but then what would 'make' mean there? 'Shape' or maybe even 'create'? That's just unlikely.
    "how to make people like you" Might means , well..that making people similar like you .Then how to say correctly if I want to say "I will make you like(in the meaning similar)?

LdR08

Kazakh, Russian
    About word "make"
    Maybe it's like "make someone want to do" and "get someone want to do"?! No?!

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Then how to say correctly if I want to say "I will make you like(in the meaning similar)?
    You could say "I will make you be like me" or "I will make you so that you are like me". By adding an obvious verb you can make sure that "like" is not interpreted as a verb.

The ambiguity between "like" as a verb and "like" as a preposition can be avoided in speech by placing the accents differently. Typically:
    I will make you like me. {verb}
    I will make you like me. {preposition}

< Previous | Next >