eat a little more

Ptak

Rußland
Is it okay to use eat+a little more? Fore example: May I eat a little more? (if I'm hungry and I'm sitting at a table with much food)

• Ptak

Rußland
    Thanks, GreenWhiteBlue.
    But is it just a politeness (what we would say being someone's guest) or does "eat" sounds really bad there? I mean, if people who are quite close are speaking? Say, a husband and a wife. In this case 'eat' is also bad?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, GreenWhiteBlue.
    But is it just a politeness (what we would say being someone's guest) or does "eat" sounds really bad there? I mean, if people who are quite close are speaking? Say, a husband and a wife. In this case 'eat' is also bad?
    I think that we're getting into the logic thing here, Ptak. Of course you may eat more - if I let you have more.:) As GWB said, it would be unusual to hear "eat" used in this way.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    In the same way, a wife might say to her husband at the dinner table "Please give me some more roast beef", but it would seem very odd to hear her say "please feed me some more roast beef".

ray8838

Chinese--Hong Kong
    In the same way, a wife might say to her husband at the dinner table "Please give me some more roast beef", but it would seem very odd to hear her say "please feed me some more roast beef".

How about asking my nutrition consultant "Can I eat a little more? or Can I eat a bit more" if I am on diet?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    How about asking my nutrition consultant "Can I eat a little more? or Can I eat a bit more" if I am on diet?
    One can also say "can I buy more" if one is shopping in a supermarket, or "can I sell more", if one is working in a store, but none of these has much to do with the original situation about which the question was asked, has it?;)

< Previous | Next >