Eat All vs Eat All of It

srknpower

Turkish
Assume that I am a father and I want my son to finish up his hamburger menu.

Does saying

“Eat all.”
or
“Eat all of it.” differ in this context? I am wondering if I can drop “of xxx” phrase in all sentences.

Thanks in advance.

• Copyright

American English
    Welcome to Native Speaker Land ... in this case, you have two individuals and two varieties of English (AE and BE), which could have something to do with our answers. :)

srknpower

Turkish
    Welcome to Native Speaker Land ... in this case, you have two individuals and two varieties of English (AE and BE), which could have something to do with our answers. :)
    I understood it :)
    Although they teach British English in Turkey, I don’ t know why but I think I tend to use American English.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Like Glasguensis, I would normally say "Eat it all up". If the child was messing around with their food, perhaps eating only the burger and leaving the bun, I would be more likely to say "Eat all of it (not just the bit you like best)".

srknpower

Turkish
    Thank you for your correction, but is it completely incorrect to your ears?

In Turkish this sentence (hamburger menu) would make sense. :(

For example, in English do you say “Finish your plate up.” in order to mean eating all the food on a plate?

It's completely incorrect.

This is a hamburger menu:

images

We don't say 'Finish your plate up'.

In addition to the above alternatives, we do say 'Clear your plate' or 'Eat all your food up'.

srknpower

Turkish
    It's completely incorrect.

This is a hamburger menu:

images

We don't say 'Finish your plate up'.

In addition to the above alternatives, we do say 'Clear your plate' or 'Eat all your food up'.
    Okay so I think English is not as flexible as Turkish. And I learned I should never think as a Türk while speaking English because this sentence would be meaningful in my sentence. I will be more careful while writing in English other times.

Thank you very much.