Eat up, or you’re getting the Saarland back.

< Previous | Next >

Kimmi G

Chinese
S: Charlemagne The secrets of the Saarland

Over its history Saarland has been French, German and, for a decade after the second world war, independent. In their singsong, French-influenced dialect, folk here still refer to the rest of Germany as the Reisch (empire). To other Germans it is an odd place. Presenting François Mitterrand with a plate of Saumagen (sow’s stomach), Helmut Kohl apocryphally joked: “Eat up, or you’re getting the Saarland back.”

Question:
Could anybody help explain this joke for me? I don't get it. What did Mr Kohl try to say? lol

Thanks in advance!

<Font size edited by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    He is saying that the Saarland is a piece of land that France probably doesn't want to own. If Mitterrand doesn't eat that mess, Kohl will give the Saarland back to France.

Kimmi G

Chinese
    He is saying that the Saarland is a piece of land that France probably doesn't want to own. If Mitterrand doesn't eat that mess, Kohl will give the Saarland back to France.
    emmmm That's a good deal! I'd prefer a piece of land to a plate of meat.

owlman5

English-US
    It is a place that has both French and German influences. It is probably too French for the Germans to believe that is a genuine part of Germany. It is probably too German for the French to consider it to be truly a part of France.

Kimmi G

Chinese
    It is a place that has both French and German influences. It is probably too French for the Germans to believe that is a genuine part of Germany. It is probably too German for the French to consider it to be truly a part of France.
    Cool! Thank you!!!

< Previous | Next >