eating soup with a knife or fishing in troubled waters

Rafeeq

Arabic
Eating soup with a knife or fishing in troubled waters. <-----Edited to add topic to post.----->

Hi all of you forummates,
Kindly try help me understand if these idioms mean the same. If not how to diffrenciate between the two ?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Welcome, Rafeeq! We usually say "eating soup with a fork" for a senseless way of dealing with a situation/problem; "fishing in troubled waters means "asking for trouble/a confrontation".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is a previous thread on one of these: to fish in troubled waters

It's not an idiom I am familiar with, so I don't have a sense of how it is used. On the face of it, I would expect it to mean to attempt to exploit a bad situation. That is one of the meanings suggested in the linked-to thread, but not everyone agrees.

Added: What we need is context. Where did you see these, Rafeeq? How were they used? Do you have a complete sentence?

Rafeeq

Arabic
    Thanks to you all for taking the trouble to seriously answer the point.
    Actually, there exists a book titled: Learning how to eat soup with a knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons ) by Nagal , a military man. I was asked by my students to translate it into Arabic.You can find the book on the web...but please try to tell me if I am correct or not in this back translation of the same :

(How to get to your goals despite the difficult situations and their risk : lessons on confronting armed militias.)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Your interpretation of what the idiom would mean in relation to the subject of the book looks good to me. :)

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I see the meaning, then, as "Making the most of the means at your disposal"/"Making do with what you have", but this might not work as a book title?

< Previous | Next >