echarse un clavado / fingir una falta (futbol)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by JeSuisSnob, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. JeSuisSnob

    JeSuisSnob Moderator

    Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Hello, foreros. I was wondering which idiomatic forms you use in English to talk about a "dive", e. g., when a football player pretends that he has received a tough kick and falls down within the area waiting for the referee to call a penalty.

    There is this previous thread, but the opener asked for idiomatic versions in Spanish.

  2. Dario de Kansas

    Dario de Kansas Senior Member

    Kansas, USA
    American English
    The one I hear most is flop. It applies to other sports as well, such as basketball.

    For example: "He flopped!" "That was such a flop!" "What a flopper!"
  3. SydLexia Senior Member

    London, EU
    UK English
    In the UK "a dive" is when the player.... dives. If it is a case of a player 'falling intentionally when not running' (ie. the player does not fall head-first/head first/headlong) the commentator will often say "I think he made the most of that" or "He is/was looking for a penalty" or "He went down very easily."

    Some pundits will say "Players go to the ground/go down very easily these days. It's not like when...."

    "flop" might be used in the US but I don't think I've ever heard it used here.

  4. JeSuisSnob

    JeSuisSnob Moderator

    Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Gracias, Darío y Syd. :)

Share This Page