Economic asset

< Previous | Next >

Mulham

Arabic
Hello everyone.
''A strong arts, music and theatre sector is an economic asset that creates new jobs and attracts tourism revenue.''

I would like to understand the meaning of this word thoroughly. I looked it up everywhere and I still can't get it.
Thank you so much.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In general, an "asset" is a "thing that is valuable". "Economic" means "in terms of money", so an "economic asset" helps make money.

I assume this sentence is talking about a city, and the "sector" is an area in the city.

The sentence says a strong arts area helps a city make money.

Mulham

Arabic
    In general, an "asset" is a "thing that is valuable". "Economic" means "in terms of money", so an "economic asset" helps make money.

I assume this sentence is talking about a city, and the "sector" is an area in the city.

The sentence says a strong arts area helps a city make money.
    Thank you.

lingobingo

English - England
    A person can be an asset – someone of particular value/usefulness within a specific context – or a ‘thing’ can be an asset in the same way.

Joe Bloggs has been appointed production manager…
    We are confident that he will be an asset to the company.
    He believes his long experience in this field will be an asset to him in his new role.

In financial terms, assets are both liquid finance (investments, money in bank accounts, etc.), and possessions in a form other than disposable money, such as land, property (buildings), vehicles, retail stock, valuable items such as jewellery.

Mulham

Arabic
    Joe Bloggs has been appointed production manager…We are confident that he will be an asset to the company.He believes his long experience in this field will be an asset to him in his new role
    Thank you.
    Joe Bloggs has been appointed production manager…We are confident that he will bring more work ethic/ productivity/profits to the company.

which one of the above applies to the meaning, please?

lingobingo

English - England
    The word asset does not tell us any of those things. All it says is that the thing or person it refers to is of value. It does not provide any information at all beyond that. It’s the context in which the word is used that provides that information.

Mulham

Arabic
    The word asset does not tell us any of those things. All it says is that the thing or person it refers to is of value. It does not provide any information at all beyond that. It’s the context in which the word is used that provides that information.
    So it depends on the adjective before the word asset to have a clearer image. Doesn't it? Thank you so much

< Previous | Next >