economic/economical

shannenms

Persian
Are these two sentences equal in meaning:

1-Changes in moral values tend to be connected with the changes of economical values of a society.

2-Changes in moral values tend to be connected with the changes of economic values of a society.
Thanks.

• shannenms

Persian
    Actually, I asked this question from a native speaker and he didn't tell me that they are so different that would make other react when seeing it as you did. In my Longman Activator book, sentence 2 was suggested, but that native friend told me that the first sentence is correct. That was why I asked it here.
    BTW, I search the threads but I don't know I didn't this thread that you kindly left here.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think "changes of the economic values" is the likelier phrase. Note that this is based solely on what I assume to be the author's likely intent. The phrasing in itself is slightly odd, but presumably the full context makes it clear that he or she is referring to the economic values of a society, a concept that I'm not certain I could describe accurately or succinctly.

shannenms

Persian
    Let me put here what my native friend said when he edited my phrase:

Economical refers to the entire system of economy within a local, while economic might just refer to a single event. When you are referencing both political and economic systems, you should use economical, not economic.
    Is he correct in explaining the difference of these two words?

Curious about Language

Australia, English
    Although in the dictionary economical can have the same meaning as economic, in actual use it is almost always used as a synonym for cheap, as noted above. Therefore it doesn't make sense in the example sentence.

"1-Changes in moral values tend to be connected with the changes of cheap values of a society."

The above doesn't really mean anything, so the correct word would be economic.

< Previous | Next >