economical with the truth

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
Hello,

I wonder if it'd be correct to say:

Don't be economical with the truth, accept that you're an alcoholic.

It seems fine to me, what do you think? I'd like other suggestions as well.

Cheers,
Revi

• ewie

English English
    Hello Ezgi. Be economical with the truth is usually used when someone (most often a politician:mad:) is deliberately distorting or concealing a fact or facts in order to deceive someone else ... rather than deceive himself:)

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Hello Ezgi. Be economical with the truth is usually used when someone (most often a politician:mad:) is deliberately distorting or concealing a fact or facts in order to deceive someone else ... rather than deceive himself:)
    Thank you, Ewie:) So it doesn't fit here.

(Please go on calling me Revi, I'm not used to hearing my real name on WRF:D)

se16teddy

English - England
    When you testify in court, you have to promise to tell 'the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth'. I think that if you say you have been 'economical with the truth', you mean that everything you have said is strictly speaking true; but you have omitted to mention some facts that would, if supplied, have given the full picture. You have not told the whole truth.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Revi, I wouldn't use the phrase "economical with the truth".

In BrE, at least, it's overwhelmingly associated with the former Cabinet Secretary, Robert Armstrong: see this Wiki article.

Tepatria's alternatives are excellent.

Last edited:

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Revi, I wouldn't use the phrase "economical with the truth".

In BrE, at least, it's overwhelmingly associated with the former Cabinet Secretary, Robert Armstrong: see this Wiki article.

Tepatria's alternatives are excellent.
    I see, Loob. So it's not a very colloquial one, contrary to what I thought? Then I go for Biblioplet's and tepatria's suggestions.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I see, Loob. So it's not a very colloquial one, contrary to what I thought? Then I go for Biblioplet's and tepatria's suggestions.
    My own comments were meant as supplementary explanations and not necessarily as alternative phrasings. Loob is correct in questioning the suitability of "economical with the truth," however. It is not a phrase heard in everyday conversation and is likely to strike some as affected or as disdainful, highhanded, or mockingly sarcastic.

Revontuli

Turkey-Turkish
    Ok then, Bibliolept, but I take your supplementary explanation, being stingy with the truth, as a new phrase in another context.

Tepatria's suggestions are best for my example. Once again, thank you all:)

< Previous | Next >