economical

• Andygc

British English
    missjojo. That seems to be a question inviting a reply "have you checked the dictionary?" However, maybe you have a specific sentence in mind where you want to use economical to provide one of the meanings of cheap. Without context your question is difficult to answer.

missjojo

Hi,I'd like to know if "economical" can be used as a synonym for "cheap".Thanks.All the best.
    To be a little more explicit : I need to give a synonym for cheaper in the sentence "a bus journey is cheaper than a train journey".So I would like to know if the sentence "a bus journey is more economical than a train journey" has the same meaning.Thanks.

DocPenfro

English - British
    "a bus journey is more economical than a train journey" has the same meaning.
    Absolutely. "Economical" is often used in this way. You could think of it as a euphemism for "cheap". This is why airlines have "economy class" rather than "cheap and uncomfortable class".

Andygc

British English
    You could use it, but it doesn't quite mean cheaper. It suggests that the bus journey is better value for money - which it might be. Our purpose is not to just suggest answers for you, but perhaps you could search for antonyms for cheap rather than synonyms - because less then could be more. ;)

Cross-posted with DocPenfro - as you can see, I don't wholly agree with him.

boozer

Bulgarian
    Yes, economical is a 'convenience' word, so to say - it prevents people with less money from feeling embarrassed about buying something cheap. We, people, are vain creatures... :D

PS. I agree with DocPenfro, however. I myself probably feel better about buying economical, rather than cheap. :)

< Previous | Next >