Economical

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
Dear friends!

a: How is your car?
b: It's durable and economical on gas / It's durable and heavy on gas.
- Is this conversation natural?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• river

U.S. English
    I don't know about "durable." I'd say "It's reliable and easy (or great) on gas" and "It's reliable and heavy on gas."

idialegre

USA English
    It sounds rather stilted for my US ears, but it's certainly understandable. I'd go with River's suggestions. Or, instead of "economical on gas," I'd say, "it gets great mileage."

runnery

China,Chinese
    Durable means the car has long endurance (operation time). Actually, durable or durability is often used in engineering field. But I am not sure "heavy on gas", what does heave mean here?

Runnery

Packard

USA, English
    Americans seem to rely on Consumers Reports Magazine ratings for reliability. They also rely on J.D. Powers "Initial quality reports". Neither of these address durability.

The "Initial quality report" is a collation of the number of manufacturing defects that are corrected by the dealers. The lower the number of corrected defects, the higher the is the initial quality report rating.

Consumers Reports asks their readers to list any problems they have had with their cars. Since the average driver only logs 15,000 miles per year and keep their cars for less than 5 years. So these reports are for the first 60,000 to 75,000 miles only (on average).

In my mind durability is for much higher mileage (100,000 to 200,000 miles). I don't know of any reliable reporting on this kind of reliability, though there is a lot of anecdotal reporting on this.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Durable means the car has long endurance (operation time). Actually, durable or durability is often used in engineering field. But I am not sure "heavy on gas", what does heave mean here?

Runnery
    I've heard cars described as "durable" but it doesn't mean long operation time. It means that the car is tough and can endure a lot of abuse. For instance, one often hears advertisements for various products which say "durable and long-lasting". "Durable" means tough, resistant to abuse.

< Previous | Next >