edited from a larger 3000 pieces to its traditional 305 pieces

yuhilda

chinese
'Like Confucius’ involvement in the other four classic canonical works, Shijing is also widely considered a collection edited by Confucius from a larger 3000 pieces to its traditional 305 pieces dating from the 11th to 7th centuries BC.'

I have written this sentence in my essay, but my professor said it's really confusing. I want to mean that the original collection is about 3000 pieces. Confucius was the editor and he had the final say on the selection of Shijing (The Classic of Poetry), and finally he only kept 305 poems in this collection. Is there anything wrong with my version? How can I improve my version?

Thank you very much indeed.

• Greyfriar

'Like Confucius’ involvement in the other four classic canonical works, Shijing is also widely considered a collection edited by Confucius from a larger 3000 pieces to its traditional 305 pieces dating from the 11th to 7th centuries BC.
    Hi,

'. . . . . . . widely considered a collection of 3000 pieces, edited by Confucius to its traditional 305 pieces, dating from the 11th . . . . . . . . . . '

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Hi,

'. . . . . . . widely considered a collection of 3000 pieces, edited by Confucius to its traditional 305 pieces, dating from the 11th . . . . . . . . . . '
    That seems to say that says that the Shijing has 3000 pieces, but apparently it only has 305.

One possibility:

"The traditional 305-piece Shijing is widely considered, like the other four classical canonical work, to be a compilation by Confucius, who edited down an earlier 3000-piece version."

But you are probably better off making multiple sentences, because the more facts you stuff into one sentence, the likelier the reader is to get confused.

< Previous | Next >