Eduardo vino/venía corriendo (Preterite/imperfect + gerundio)

zeke63

English
Hi,

My professor insists that the preterite progressive must be used for this stand-alone sentence, "Eduardo vino corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." I do not see why a sentence with such vague context could not be instead "eduardo venía corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." Either option seems possible, Preterite-Eduardo had been running from the park (and stopped) when he saw Ana, and, imperferct- Eduardo had been running from the park (and continued) when he saw Ana.

• OGalati

Castellano
    Hi.

All these sentences are correct, but have different meanings.

"eduardo venía corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." >> He was already running at the time he saw Ana.
    "eduardo vino corriendo desde el parque cuando vio a Ana." >> He started to run due he saw Ana.

"he stopped or continued" is not implied from the sentences.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    In my opinion, both are possible.

The combination of the imperfect/preterit with the gerund makes it kind of ambiguous, so it doesn't really matter which one you use.

I fully agree with OGalati's remark:

"he stopped or continued" is not implied from the sentences.

PS. You can find examples of both in the CREA. Actually, "venía corriendo" has a higher frequency than "vino corriendo" but I don't think the difference is significant.