educated better / better educated

< Previous | Next >

semeeran

Indian Tamil, India
(1) Children in developed countries are educated better than children in poor countries. ("better" is adv. modifying "educated")
(2) Children in developed countries are better educated than children in poor countries. ("better" is adj. modifying "educated")
Which one is the correct one?
Please comment.
Thanks.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Out of #1 and #2, which one is the better sentence?
    Please comment.
    Thanks.
    Well, there's a slight difference in emphasis in that (2) describes the children and (1) describes the process of their education.

So both are grammatically correct: it just depends on which aspect you want to focus on. If that doesn't matter, then I would instinctively say that (2) was probably the more usual of the two.

e2efour

UK English
    I don't find sentence 1) natural. I would say that they receive a better education than is the normal way of saying what you mean.

Nor do I think that someone who receives a better education than someone else is automatically better educated.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Nor do I think that someone who receives a better education than someone else is automatically better educated.
    I would have thought that that was the definition...:confused: The sense of the adjective is very broad.

< Previous | Next >