education welfare officer

Dralla

United Kingdom
What is an education welfare officer in Spanish?

Definition : Education welfare officers work with children, parents, carers, schools and other agencies to promote regular school attendance, deal with absenteeism and help children and young people at risk of exclusion.

Thanks.

Paul

• cirrus

UK English
    Do EWOs exist as a post in Spanish speaking countries? If I were you I'd explain what they do and leave the title in English. I'm assuming it's a translation for parents.

donquijotedelamancha

Spanish - Canary Island, Spain
    En España es más complejo ya que hay asistentes sociales que ayudan en esas cosas y otras muchas, y dentro de la enseñanza están los tutores de cada grupo de alumnos, los orientadores, para casos más concretos y complejos y los mediadores, voluntarios, para problemas entre varios alumnos o alumno-profesor. Imagino que habrá aún más cosas en cada comunidad autónoma, municipio,...

Dralla

United Kingdom
    As I expected!

It's a student of mine who wants to be able to say what his job is: it'll just have to be "asistente social"

cirrus

UK English
    El papel de un EWO / attendance officer cubre un espacio entre asistente social además de un rol donde pueden sancionar a padres que no cumplen con el deber de enseñanza obligatoria o sea que permiten que sus niños no vayan a escuela.

pewen

spanish
    I think in Chile the closest position to EWO is what we call "Encargado(a) del Area Técnica Pedagógica" well know in the school of my children as the "Encargado de la ATP". The "Asistente Social" also exists as a position but such person deals wil personal and family well-being. For example: If the teacher of a child is informed that a certain family is having financial harships and they have problems to comply with some regular school payments, that teacher is endowed to talk to that family and may suggest them to go and explain their situation to the asistente social. Normally, the asistente social, checks some papers and prepares a final report which is then conveyed to the school Principal fur further decision (at this point, normally ther are possibilities to get scholarships, etc). Soory for the long explanation :p

< Previous | Next >